Friday, February 18, 2011

Spinnakees Fiber Farm making Wool Cloth easily

I made this embrodiery case out of store bought wool, pearl cotton, beads, and dyed wool pieces. I decided to make my own wool cloth to make an embrodiery case from Spinnakees Fiber. This is a process, but worth the effort!



This is the inside of the case layed open.


First lay down your bubble wrap. I used a piece about 16" x 20". I then placed a piece of cotton on top of the bubble wrap. I then teased apart roving and lay it in one layer across the cotton cloth filling it. Do this first vertically then horizontally. About 6 layers.

Take a spray bottle full of water and wet your fiber throughly, then place another piece of cotton cloth the same size over the fiber, and then another piece of bubble wrap on top of the cloth.


I rolled up the layers and put elastics about every 2". Then the works begins! Roll it on your table about 100 times the first time. Then take elastics off, unrole it and see how much it has felted. Roll it back up from the side and then roll it back and forth about 50 times and check it again for felting.



This is wool cloth I have felted and wool rolled into a roll to be felted. Shultz is a Spinnakees' Farm German Angora, who is taking a break. Shultz donated his fiber for one side of the cloth making a beautiful soft surface.

No comments: